Leopard Blog Search

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Looking at Artist Labels

We looked into music distribution to find out how newly formed artists as well as established artists get where they are today in the current market. Myspace is a well known way of both established artists and local bands/artists working their way up into the music industry. Music on myspace gets listened to by friends, friends of friends, family and myspacers who use the website regularly. Record Labels and other local bands listen to artists on myspace and some even put their songs onto itunes where it is more accessible to  the audience.

I have heard of four major record companies, which are Sony, Universal, EMI and Warner. I know that Sony, Universal and Warner all produce major films too - this benefits artists that sign with these established record companies as their songs can be used in the films. Therefore producing a soundtrack that the audience can then buy from shops, online or download.

I decided to look into what companies sign similar artists to mine.

I firstly looked at 'The Kooks' on wikipedia, and it says they are signed with Virgin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kooks) I clicked on to the label Virgin and found out that Virgin Records was sold to EMI in 1992, that was then merged with Capitol Records which then became the Capitol Music Group. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Records) \

When researching into 'James Blunt' I found out he is signed to Warner Bros. Records. It is an American Label, and there is now a Warner Music Group.

I also looked at 'Paolo Nutini' and discovered he is signed to Atlantic. When looking into Atlantic Records I saw that their parent company is Warner Music Group. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Records)

Finally I looked at 'Daniel Powter' on wikipedia. It says he is signed to both Warner Bros. and Sony BMG. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_powter) His single 'Bad Day' was submitted by Warner Bros. Records however, Powter has a 'music publishing deal with BMG Music Publishing' for France'.

From researching into record labels I have learnt that even 'The Kooks' who come under the indie genre (independent record label) are in fact under an established company. This tells me that although my artists song 'Take me on a train' could be considered as indie, it will be signed to an established record label.

No comments:

Post a Comment